SENIOR DESIGNER Knock Knock December 2008 - November 2009
- Concept, write and design all manner of smart, funny paper goods for Venice-based design firm.
DESIGN EDITOR Los Angeles Times August 2007-August 2008
- Book, plan and design daily Calendar section. Create original illustrations for Book Review and Highway 1 sections.
FEATURES DESIGNER Detroit Free Press January 2006-August 2007
- EDITORIAL (1.07-present) Designed SND award-winning On Point Sunday editorial section for May 2006 launch of the Sunday Free Press. Direct, design and illustrate weekly On Point section.
- NEWS (4.06-3.07) Worked closely with photography, graphics and news desks to create dynamic, informative daily news packages.
- FEATURES (4.07- present) Illustrate and design daily and weekly features sections including Travel, Books and PLAY, a weekly entertainment tab. Art directed, designed and illustrated “Celebrate Michigan,” a 22-page special travel section that published June 3. Regularly nominated for monthly Bravo! Our Best Stuff Free Press awards.
ASSOCIATE ART DIRECTOR The Advocate 2003-2006
- Spearheaded and led magazine redesign in May 2005. Designed and art directed front-of-the-book features and special sections.
- Assigned and directed illustrations. Created original illustrations and infographics. Researched and procured conceptual stock.
LEAD DESIGNER Clear Channel Multimedia Group 2000-2003
- Designed several weekly music industry magazines. Redesigned two magazines, one of which won a 2003 Radio Music Association’s Trade Publication of the Year award.
COMMUNICATIONS COORDINATOR / CREW LEADER Habitat for Humanity/AmeriCorps 1998-1999
- Edited, designed and coordinated distribution of all publications. Planned special events, including outreach fairs and home dedications.
- Trained and supervised volunteers from corporate, faith and educational organizations. Built 17 homes with and for low-income families.
The New York Times, TBWA/Chiat/Day, 826LA, Variety, Mighty Fine, Smog Design, The Out Traveler magazine, Alyson Books, Under the Radar magazine, The Sierra Club Angeles Chapter, LA Youth, The University of Michigan Alumni Association
awards and recognition
- 2008 MANIFEST HOPE Invited to create and show work at the Manifest Hope Gallery at the Democratic National Convention in Denver. A run of 30,000 posters I designed will be distributed throughout the Midwest in the next 60 days.
- 2008 826LA TIME TRAVEL MART EMPLOYEE OF THE MONTH for designing a poster series that raised over $15,000 dollars in the first two weeks that it was available for sale.
- 2008 FIRST PLACE, feature page design, Society of Professional Journalists, Detroit chapter
- 2007 AWARD OF EXCELLENCE, Feature page design, Society for News Design
- 2006 AWARD OF EXCELLENCE, Section redesign, Society for News Design
University of Michigan School of Art & Design, BFA August 1998
Additional coursework at Art Center College of Design in Pasadena
and Otis college of Art & design in Los Angeles